Lisle Illinois History
DuPage County is home to one of the most famous golf courses in the United States and it is the site of a great history, from the beginning of golf to the present day. DuPage Golf Club, Illinois' oldest golf club, has played a central role in both development and golf, bringing local history to a beginning. For a man, life - and death - has been life for many of his friends and family since he was born in 1855.
In 1994, the Lisle location helped the village become the second largest hotel in Illinois, followed only by Chicago and Springfield. The motorway has increased the commuter population and the number of visitors from outside and outside the county.
In the 1930s, the Lisle business district was expanded by a building on the main road north of the tracks. It was a homecoming for a local family business when Tellabs Automobile Company, a Chicago, Illinois-based subsidiary of Tellabs Automotive, founded a dealer in Licee Illinois in 1962. In 1977, they moved to a permanent location in Lisle Illinois, and their sales quadrupled from eight to more than 2,000 dealers in Chicago and Springfield.
In 1851, Southwest Plank Road stretched from Chicago to Naperville, and its Lisle Way is now known as Ogden. The plank road crossed the area and stretched from the city of Chicago in the west through Licee and West to what is now known as Ogden Avenue.
US Route 34, also known as Ogden Avenue, is the main link between Lisle and Illinois 53, bounded by US Route 31, US Highway 35 and US Route 34 (now US-34).
Interstates 88 and 355 also bring trade to the area, and RR Chicago, Burlington and Quincy offer Amtrak and Metra train service to work in Chicago. The first train passed through Lisle in 1881, after Illinois Central Railroad and Chicago and Burlington & Quincy Railroad completed the tracks from Aurora to Chicago. A tornado passed through the city on May 26, 1884, crossing the central tracks of Governors Highway and Illinois south of Sauk Trail.
The land is now Naperville School District 203, though the northeast corner was later added to 203 and it remains, and the southwest corner of the school district.
Huntington Land was developed largely within the city of Naperville, and Chicago Stone Holdings became Seven Bridges. Originally called Lisle Public School, it had three extensions in forty years and served as the only public primary school in Lice until Schiesher opened in 1956. Originally it was opened as a private school in 1878 and then as a primary school for 24 years. There were only two Chicago communities willing to give guidance to Czech immigrants: St. John Nepomuk was founded on September 1, 1876 at the corner of Dekovener and DesPlaines streets in the west of the city, and St. Wenceslas was founded in 1863 at Dek ovens and DesPlains streets. In 1877, an orphanage was founded in the neighborhood, with donations from parishioners, one of the largest in Chicago at the time. The first Catholic church in north Chicago, Saint. Francis of Assisi, inaugurated on September 2, 1878 ; it was the only one of its kind in Illinois and the first in Europe.
The exclusive private golf club was the brainchild of William Luther, a wealthy entrepreneur, philanthropist and sportsman who founded the village of Oak Brook, Illinois. Before 1842 Luther had bought a plot of land along Warrenville Road, much of which is now the Arbor Ridge subdivision, but sold his claims and later bought and built a shop in Lisle. He later bought and refurbished the property on the west side of Warren Street, now Warren Avenue. The building, which is a quarter-mile northeast of Chicago and named after the editor of the Sun who touted Lützen as a target for the rich and powerful in the Chicago area, stands on land leased from the village of Lise and is owned by the Heritage Society, which maintains it, according to its website.
Today, the village of Lisle owns and maintains the 2 hectares that used to be the "Lisle Cemetery," but this has not always been the case. The cemetery has been maintained for many years by World War II veterans, many of whom are present, according to the Heritage Society's website.
In the 1980s, Lisle bought two private water companies operating in the city, which also contributed to the growth of the water network. He helped organize the DuPage Agricultural and Mechanical Society in 1853 and served as its secretary, according to its website.
The two brothers bought land on what is now Ogden Avenue and founded a small farming community, originally called "DuPage East" or "DuPage." They controlled 2,050 acres of land, which is normally bounded by the North, South, West, East and West DuPage roads, as well as the west side of the city of Chicago, the Chicago Tribune reported.